• Development Approvals for Building Work must be obtained before commencing any building work (including renovations, alterations or additions to any building or structure on your property) and for the erection of carports, outdoor areas, gazebos, swimming pools and swimming pool fences, spas, retaining walls, shipping containers and the like.

    In order to obtain the approval, a Development Application for Building Work can be lodged to either Council or you can contact a private building certifier (who will then arrange lodgement of your documentation to Council on your behalf).

    DA Form 2 (available from the Department of State Development, Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning website) must be completed to lodge the application.

    Application fees will apply, refer to Barcaldine Regional Council Fees & Charges 2023/2024

    Building – Post construction fee

    If a building application is lodged after the commencement of construction, during construction or post construction, a Building Post Construction Fee will be applied to the application.

    The rate will be set during the adoption of the Annual Budget. For the 2023/2024 financial year, the rate is set at 30%.

    Residents are encouraged to obtain the necessary Building Approval prior to the commencement of any building work. Development (Planning) and Plumbing Approvals may also be required with some applications.

    This applies to residents both in township and rural areas.

    Building – Siting variation (Boundary setbacks)

    An application for a siting variation (also sometimes referred to as a “relaxation of setback”) is a request that is made to Council to allow a building or structure to be sited closer to the boundary line than allowed by the acceptable solution.

    The minimum acceptable setbacks from front, rear and site boundaries are set out in:

    • the Mandatory Parts 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 of the Queensland Development Code sets out the required setbacks for single detached houses, domestic outbuildings and duplexes; or
    • as permitted by section 33 of the Building Act 1975, alternate provisions may be specified by a local government in its planning scheme (for instance, in the relevant zone code).

    Having buildings and structures setback from a property boundary serve various practical purposes, such as: preserving or improving the amenity and aesthetics of the area, ventilation, safety and emergency access, fire mitigation, utilities and infrastructure access, traffic and pedestrian visibility, vermin control and to allow for building and property maintenance to be undertaken without trespassing.

    In some instances, the required setbacks do have the effect of considerably constraining where on a lot buildings and structures maybe sited (for instance, if a lot has both a front and rear road frontage buildings and structures may be required to be setback at least 6 metres from both frontages, or for a corner lot no structure over 1 metre in height can be located within a 9 metre x 9 metre truncation in addition to frontage setbacks)

    A property owner can make a request to Council for permission to comply with a reduced boundary setback, having regard to the specific circumstances of the lot and the proposed building. Council considers and decides siting variation requests on a case-by-case basis.

    To make a siting variation request, put your request in writing (email or letter) along with the site plan (indicating all the boundaries, north direction, distances between buildings and boundaries) including the proposed new development and why you require the setback. Submit your request to Council for consideration and a decision. If your request is accepted, the approval letter is to be submitted with your subsequent Building Application.

  • In Queensland, state-wide legislation establishes the framework and overarching policy for land use planning and development. Further information about Queensland’s planning framework and development assessment system is available from the Queensland Government Planning website.

    Council’s roles within the system include guiding and managing development through local planning, as well as assessing development applications. The Barcaldine Region Planning Scheme 2023 and supporting information is accessible from our dedicated Planning Scheme page. The planning scheme informs whether a development application is required for proposed development.

    Types of development

    The recognised types of development in Queensland are:

    • Material Change of Use, which means:
      • the start of a new use of the premises;
      • the re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandoned; or
      • a material increase in the intensity or scale of the use of the premises.
    • Reconfiguring a Lot, which includes:
      • subdividing land to create additional lots;
      • re-aligning the boundary of a lot;
      • creating an access easement; or
      • dividing land into parts by agreement.
    • Operational Work, which means work on, over or under premises that materially affects premises or the use of premises, for example, earthworks (filling or excavation). Operational work does not include building work or plumbing or drainage work.
    • Building Work, which applies to any new building work (Note: a development approval for building work under the planning scheme may be required before obtaining a building approval as described at the top of this webpage, for example, for an oversized shed).

    For any development requiring assessment and approval under the planning scheme, a Development Application must be lodged to Council.

    Preparing and lodging a development application

    The basis for any development application will be the relevant prescribed Development Assessment Form (DA Form 1, DA Form 2 or DA Form 5), which is used state-wide.

    The relevant Development Assessment Form will need to be lodged together with:

    • all required supporting plans and documents; and
    • the applicable development application fee.

    Development applications can be lodged in person at any of Council’s Customer Service Centres or to arrange electronic lodgement and payment please contact Council on (07) 4651 5600.

    Click here for Lodging a Development Application factsheet.

    Pre-lodgement service

    Council offers a complimentary pre-lodgement service for prospective developers. Guidance can be provided on:

    • what types of Council approvals may be required for your project
    • general process guidance
    • assistance understanding the requirements of the planning scheme and additional building controls.

    For pre-lodgement support, contact Council on (07) 4651 5600.

    Current Development Applications 

    Council maintains a register of applications currently under assessment.  Click here to view the Current Applications.  

    Approved Development Applications

    Council maintains a register of applications which have been decided upon.  Click here to view the Decided Applications.

    Infrastructure Charges

    The resolution on infrastructure charging at the General Meeting of Council held on 27 April 2016, which took effect from 3 May 2016, remains in effect. Council does not presently levy Adopted Infrastructure Charges.

    Proponents may seek to enter into Infrastructure Agreements with Council.

    With the commencement of the new planning scheme, Council is in the process of reconsidering its infrastructure planning and charging mechanisms.

    Telecommunications in New Developments Policy

    If you are a developer or owner-builder, there may be important Commonwealth telecommunications requirements you need to comply with. For more information visit www.infrastructure.gov.au/tind

  • At its General Meeting held on 11 May 2011, Council adopted the following planning controls for the townships of Alpha and Jericho:

    1. Council adopts the following Planning Control Measures for future development in Jericho:
      "The minimum building floor height (distance from the ground to the bottom of the floor bearer) of any new structure constructed in the Jericho Town Area must be 300mm above the highest levels determined by the 2002 Jericho Town Flood Mitigation Study by Connell Wagner and any structure, including any associated works, must not in any way redirect flood waters."; and

    1. Council adopts the following Planning Control Measures for future development in Alpha:
      "The minimum building floor height (distance from the ground to the bottom of the floor bearer) of any new structure constructed in the Alpha Town Area must be 300mm above the levels determined by the 1990 historic event as described in the Alpha Town Flood Mitigation Report compiled by Connell Wagner in clauses 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 as equivalent to the 1990 information available and any structure, including any associated works, must not in any way redirect flood waters.".

    The Flood Mitigation Study relevant to each town can be accessed at this link.

  • All plumbing and drainage work must comply with current legislative requirements and regulations. All plumbing and drainage, except for unregulated work, work must be carried out by a licenced plumber or drainer. Licence currency can be reviewed online at www.qbcc.qld.gov.au.

    Permit work, notifiable work and minor work are categories of regulated plumbing and drainage work. Unregulated work is defined in Schedule 3 of the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019.

    Council assessment and approval is required before undertaking permit work and such work must undergo at least one inspection.

    For enquiries about plumbing and drainage works and applications, please contact Council on (07) 4651 5600.