The 'Fossilised Forest of Alpha' sculpture is located in Shakespeare Street. The sculpture represents the Alpha Districts prehistoric landscape and also present and future. The sculpture was designed by Artist Antone Bruinsma and constructed by Antone and members of the local community and was completed in April 2012.
The sculpture is made from a range of materials such as; helidon freestone, imperial black granite for South Australia, zeolite and petrified wood from Alpha and surrounding districts.
For more information, download the Artists Statement.
The 'Fossilised Forest of Alpha' was funded by the Minor Tourism Infrastructure Program through the Department of Tourism, Major Events, Small Business and the Commonwealth Games.
The Alpha District Tourist & Development Association was established in 1999 and set up in an old Railway Guards room, which was relocated from the Railway Station to the Tivoli Picture Theatre site in Shakespeare Street, Alpha. The Tourist Information Centre is named after Cr Rowley Roberts, who opened the Centre on the 22nd April 2001.
The Information Centre is open from 8.30am to 12.30pm Monday to Friday and also acts as a Driver Reviver Station.
What the Information Centre has to offer:
Come in and talk to the friendly staff, and browse through the centre and see what this unique and peaceful town has to offer.
For more information, please contact the Rowley RobertsTourist Information Centre on 07 4985 1050.
The Tivoli Theatre Museum is located behind the Rowley Roberts Tourist Information Centre in Shakespeare Street. Inside view a collection of early settlers gear - saddlery, railway and stock wears and much more. The lastest addition to the museum is a mural of a man on a horse riding into the sunset, generously painted by a Grey Nomad.
For more information, please contact the Rowley Roberts Tourist Information Centre on 07 4985 1050.
The Honourable W.H. Glasson, Minister for Land Management and Member for Gregory opened the Jane Neville-Rolfe Art Gallery on the 4th April 1988. The Art Gallery was an Australian Bicentennial project with financial assistance from the Commonwealth and State Government and local organisations. The Jane Neville-Rolfe collection is named after the famous water colourist who visited Alpha Station in the 1800s. Whilst there she painted the famous breakfast scene. The gallery showcases the works of local artists as well as internationally renowned artists. The gallery offers a limited number of works for sale andis open by appointment only.
The Gallery is located in Dryden Street next to the Barcaldine Regional Council Alpha Administration Office.
For more information, please contact the Alpha Tourist Information Centre on 4985 1050.
There are twenty seven murals in the township of Alpha and all tell their own story of rural life in the region. The murals became when a group a local artists painted a wall in 1991 and today have became the focal point for Alpha with murals being painted on most public buildings.
The lastest mural to be painted is of a man on a horse riding into the sunset, generously painted by a Grey Nomad. This mural is located in the Tivoli Theatre Museum (it is not mentioned in the information below).
Download information about the Murals and a map showing their locations.
The 'Jump Ups' is located on the Clermont Road just north-west of Alpha. This is a natural attraction displaying the different layers of coloured volcanic soil, it is worth a look!
The Alpha Dip Yards are an easy walk from the town centre. They are utilised when cattle and other stock travel between non tick and tick infested areas. The yards were purpose built in close proximity to the rail line, when rail was the main means of transport for cattle.
Like all Western Queensland cemeteries the Alpha Cemetery is filled with history. If you are looking for genealogical information or have an interest in the history of the area, the cemetery is a great place to start. The historical 'Pine Hill' cemetery is approximatelty 25km on the Capricorn Highway east of Alpha. Graves date back to 1883. Cemetery records are available from the Barcaldine Regional Council Alpha Office.
An easy stroll down the lower end of Shakespeare Street is the New Bridge. It was build by the railway and in 1941 was the site of a tragic rail accident. Locomotive no. 147 crashed through the bridge killing the driver and fireman.
Situated in Shakespeare Street this park is a great place to picnic or have a relaxing break from your travels. The park contains children's play equipment, a skate park, a BBQ and toilet facilities.