Building and Planning

Building Work

Development Approvals for Building Work must be obtained before commencing any building work (including renovations, alterations or additions to any building or structure on your property) and for the erection of carports, outdoor areas, gazebos, swimming pools and swimming pool fences, spas, retaining walls, shipping containers and the like.

In order to obtain the approval, a Development Application for Building Work can be lodged to either Council or you can contact a private building certifier (who will then arrange lodgement of your documentation to Council on your behalf).

DA Form 2 (available from the Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning website) must be completed to lodge the application.

Application fees will apply, refer to Barcaldine Regional Council Fees & Charges 2022/2023. 

Building – Post construction fee

If a building application is lodged after the commencement of construction, during construction or post construction, a Building Post Construction Fee will be applied to the application.

The rate will be set during the adoption of the Annual Budget. For the 2022/2023 financial year, the rate is set at 30%.

Residents are encouraged to obtain the necessary Building Approval prior to the commencement of any building work. Town Planning and Plumbing Approvals may also be required with some applications.

This applies to residents both in town and rural sectors.

Building – Siting Variation (Boundary)

If you are constructing a new building or doing an extension and if the development is inside the boundary lines permitted, you will be required to apply to Council for a Siting Variation (also known as Relaxation of Setback).

  • The Queensland Development Code sets out the required setbacks for residential sites in town areas
  • The required setback from a road boundary i.e. property line running adjacent with the road, is 6metres. Unfortunately in the case of a corner lot it is 6metres from both roads. The property owner can make a request to Council to reduce the boundary setback in the way of a Siting Variation. The variation would then have to be reviewed and Council is satisfied that the proposed building location with the reduced setbacks does not hinder the Amenity and Aesthetics including traffic visibility within the area. There is also a 9m x 9m Truncation that no structures over 1m in height can be located
  • For properties outside a town area, check with the Town Planning Scheme if the location complies with the guidelines set

To apply for a Siting Variation, put your request in writing (email or letter) along with the site plan (this indicates all the boundaries, north direction, distances between buildings and boundaries) including the proposed new development and why you require the setback. Submit your request to Council for consideration and a Decision. If successful, the approval letter is to be submitted with your Building Application.



In Queensland, state-wide legislation establishes the framework and overarching policy for land use planning.

Commencing in mid-2017, the Planning Act 2016 establishes a new planning system for the state and replaces the Sustainable Planning Act 2009. Under this planning regime, the fundamental roles of the state, local government and community will not change.

Further information can be obtained from the State Development Planning website.


Council’s Planning Schemes

A Planning Scheme is an important tool for guiding future growth and development within a local government area. Three Planning Schemes are used by Barcaldine Regional Council to regulate planning and development in different areas of the region.

(Planning Schemes are listed below):

  • Aramac Shire Council Planning Scheme
  • Barcaldine Shire Council Planning Scheme
  • Jericho Shire Council Planning Scheme

Under the Planning Schemes, new development may require a development approval. This will depend on various factors, including the type of development, proposal details, and the zone and overlays that apply to the development site. The different types of development that may require approval under the Planning Scheme are listed below:

  • Material Change of Use, which means:
  • The start of a new use of the premises;
  • The re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandoned; or
  • A material increase in the intensity or scale of the use of the premises.
  • Reconfiguring a Lot, which includes:
  • Subdividing land to create additional lots;
  • Re-aligning the boundary of a lot;
  • Creating an access easement; or
  • Dividing land into parts by agreement.
  • Operational Work, which means work on, over or under premises that materially affects premises or the use of premises, for example, earthworks (filling or excavation). Operational work does not include building work or plumbing or drainage work.
  • Building Work, which applies to any new building work (Note: a development approval for building work under the Planning Scheme may be required before obtaining a building approval as described at the top of this webpage, for example, for an oversized shed). 

For any development above that requires an approval under the Planning Scheme, a Development Application must be lodged to Council.

To enquire about your proposed development and whether it triggers a Development Application for Development Approval under the Planning Scheme, please contact any Barcaldine Regional Council office.

A Fact Sheet is available to help explain Development Application requirements for the two most common applications assessed by Council, being for Material Change of Use and Reconfiguring a Lot.


Additional Planning Controls

At its General Meeting held on 11 May 2011, Council adopted the following planning controls for the townships of Alpha and Jericho:

  1. Council adopts the following Planning Control Measures for future development in Jericho:
    "The minimum building floor height (distance from the ground to the bottom of the floor bearer) of any new structure constructed in the Jericho Town Area must be 300mm above the highest levels determined by the 2002 Jericho Town Flood Mitigation Study by Connell Wagner and any structure, including any associated works, must not in any way redirect flood waters."; and
  1. Council adopts the following Planning Control Measures for future development in Alpha:
    "The minimum building floor height (distance from the ground to the bottom of the floor bearer) of any new structure constructed in the Alpha Town Area must be 300mm above the levels determined by the 1990 historic event as described in the Alpha Town Flood Mitigation Report compiled by Connell Wagner in clauses 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 as equivalent to the 1990 information available and any structure, including any associated works, must not in any way redirect flood waters.".

The Flood Mitigation Study relevant to each town can be accessed at this link.


New Barcaldine Region Planning Scheme

Council is in the process of preparing a new single planning scheme (Planning Act compliant) that will replace the three current planning schemes and will apply to the entire local government area. The new planning scheme is still in draft format and will be available for public comment in the coming months. 


Current Development Applications 

Council maintains a register of applications currently under assessment.  Click here to view the Current Applications.  


Approved Development Applications 

Council maintains a register of applications which have been decided upon.  Click here to view the Decided Applications.


Infrastructure Charges

At the General Meeting of Council held on 27 April 2016, it was resolved to not prepare a Local Government Infrastructure Plan as required by the superseded Sustainable Planning Act, and that Council therefore ceases to levy Adopted Infrastructure Charges. This resolution was to take effect from 3 May 2016 and is still in effect for the local government area.


Telecommunications in New Developments Policy

If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with. For more information visit

Town Planning Schemes

Building and Planning Forms