An animal permit is required for the keeping of the following species or breed of animal in a designated town area:-
- Horse or Donkey - 1 (one) (including weanling) over the age of 6 months per allotment
- Cow or Bull - 1 (one) (weanling cow) over the age of 6 months per allotment
- Sheep, Goat, Alpaca or Llama - 1 (one) over the age of 6 months per allotment (2000m²)
- Deer - 1 (one) over the age of 6 months per allotment
- Ostrich or Emu - 1 (one) bird per allotment
- Minimum Allotment Size is 4000m² (unless otherwise stated for a particular animal)
- Animal enclosures (stables, kennels, cages etc) does not constitute having approval to keep an animal on your property
- Permits are required for animals within the designated Animal Control area (regardless of the zoning of land)
To apply for a permit, download the form below.
For more information on the Keeping of Animals, please refer to Barcaldine Regional Council's Local Laws No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011 and the associated Subordinate Local Law No. 1.5 (Keeping of Animals).
Did you know that there are the minimum standards for the keeping of animals in the Barcaldine Regional Council area?
- The animal must be adequately identified so that the owner's name, address and telephone number are readily ascertainable;
- Ensure that waste waters from enclosures are drained in a nuisance free manner and the run-off is kept off adjoining premises;
- You must remove daily excrement, food scraps and other waste that is likely to become offensive and dispose of it;
- An enclosure of appropriate size for the animal must be provided; suitably fenced to prevent theanimal from wandering or escaping, well maintained and cleaned regularly;
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent the animal from making a noise or disturbance that causes a nuisance.