An animal permit is required for the keeping of the following species or breed of animal in a designated town area:-
- Horse or Donkey - 1 (one) (including weanling) over the age of 6 months per allotment
- Cow or Bull - 1 (one) (weanling cow) over the age of 6 months per allotment
- Sheep, Goat, Alpaca or Llama - 1 (one) over the age of 6 months per allotment (2000m²)
- Deer - 1 (one) over the age of 6 months per allotment
- Ostrich or Emu - 1 (one) bird per allotment
- Minimum Allotment Size is 4000m² (unless otherwise stated for a particular animal)
- Animal enclosures (stables, kennels, cages etc) does not constitute having approval to keep an animal on your property
- Permits are required for animals within the designated Animal Control area (regardless of the zoning of land)
To apply for a permit, download the form below.
For more information on the Keeping of Animals, please refer to Barcaldine Regional Council's Local Laws No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011
Did you know that there are the minimum standards for the keeping of animals in the Barcaldine Regional Council area?
- The animal must be adequately identified so that the owner's name, address and telephone number are readily ascertainable;
- Ensure that waste waters from enclosures are drained in a nuisance free manner and the run-off is kept off adjoining premises;
- You must remove daily excrement, food scraps and other waste that is likely to become offensive and dispose of it;
- An enclosure of appropriate size for the animal must be provided; suitably fenced to prevent theanimal from wandering or escaping, well maintained and cleaned regularly;
- Take all reasonable steps to prevent the animal from making a noise or disturbance that causes a nuisance.