Under the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 all dogs in Queensland over the age of 12 weeks must be registered with your Local Government. The only exception are those dogs that fall under the description of "working dogs". An annual registration fee applies.
Desexed and micro-chipped dogs are eligible for a discounted registration fee. New registrations claiming the desexing and microchipping discount, will require evidence to be attached to the registration application. The registration period is from 1 July to 30 June of each year.
A Registration Form can be downloaded below. You will be given an identification tag for your dog to wear on its collar. Please ensure that the tag remains fitted at all times. An animal seen without it's identification are deemed "Unregistered" and treated as such.
For registration fees, please refer to the Barcaldine Regional Council 2016/2017 Fees and Charges.
By Mail - cheques or money orders can be posted to PO Box 191, Barcaldine QLD 4725
In Person - at any Barcaldine Regional Council Administration Office 8.00am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday with Cash, Cheque or Eftpos Card (Credit Cards incur a 1% surcharge fee)
Number of Animals Permitted?
In accordance with Barcaldine Regional Council Local Law, residents can keep two (2) dogs and two (2) cats per residence. Any resident wishing to keep more than this allowed number need to make an application to Council (Permit Application Fee does apply). An Application for Approval for Keeping of Animals can be downloaded below. For more information on keeping cats and dogs, please click on the following links;Local Law No. 2 (Animal Management) 2011 and the associated Subordinate Local Law No. 1.5 (Keeping of Animals).
From October 2013, cats no longer are required to be registered with Council.
Cats and Dogs born before 1st July 2010 do not need to be microchipped, only those born or transferred after this date will need to be microchipped. You can have your animals microchipped by a Registered Vet or an approved Microchipper after 8 weeks of age. From 1st July 2010, microchipping is mandatory for all:
- cats and dogs after they reach 12 weeks of age
- cats and dogs that have changed ownership i.e. have been either sold or given away
- declared regulated dogs i.e. restricted, dangerous dogs and menacing dogs
If your dog becomes classified by Council as a dangerous dog the following rules apply:
- Dangerous Dogs must be enclosed in such a way that they cannot freely leave the premises and pose no danger to authorised persons and others who enter the property to visit the resident or read utility meters;
- A dangerous dog must be muzzled and kept restrained while outside its enclosure. The animal may be seized and impounded if this requirement is not complied with;
- Signs acceptable to the authorised person warning of the presence of a dangerous dog must befixed to all entrances of the dog's enclosure.
The following breeds of dogs are prohibited in the Barcaldine Regional Council area:
- American Pit Bull Terrier
- The Dogo Argentino
- The Fila Brasileiro
- The Tosa (Japenese)
Responsible Cat and Dog Ownership
- ensure dogs are registered in accordance with Local Laws
- keep dogs under effective control in a public place i.e. on a leash, rope or chain
- person in charge of a dog must clean up faeces
- dogs on heat are not permitted onto a public place
- provide a proper enclosure to reduce the risk of escaping or wandering at large
- avoid nuisances i.e. noise, odour or apprehension in the minds of others of a threat to their health or safety
- owner must not cause, encourage or permit a dog attack or worry another person or animal
- provide adequate food, water and space
- maintain proper standards or cleanliness and hygiene
Any cat or dog found wandering at large in the town area will be impounded, attracting an impoundment fee. This fee will apply regardless of whether the animal resides in the rural or urban zone of the Barcaldine Regional Council. For Impounding fees, please refer to the Barcaldine Regional Council 2016/2017 Fees and Charges below.